Sunday, May 3, 2015

The Killing Fields of Cambodia - and a story

One of the more interesting places we went on our trip was  Cambodia

     On our recently completed Round the World trip, we made many interesting stops and visits, and none were more fascinating than Cambodia in Southeast Asia.  The current day lives of the people, interlaced with the dramatic ancient history of the Angkor Wat ruins, made for a very compelling contrast. 
     It is a large country about the size of Colorado, with a current population of 15 million.  

The not-so-recent History of Cambodia has been Brutal

     Lost in the shadow of the Vietnam War was Cambodia's heinous civil war that lasted twenty years and cost 3 million lives.  This was in large part because of Pol Pot, the evil dictator who essentially embarked on a policy of genocide that nearly destroyed the country. 
     This guy, who has to be on the top ten list of the the worst people in history, began a systematic annihilation of almost 25% of the the population of Cambodia.  Some may remember the story was told in books and movies and was tagged with the title of The Killing Fields.  
     Eventually the country collapsed.  That ushered in a period of chaos that finally ended in the early 2000's with peaceful elections.
     A telling statistic is that well over half the population is under the age of 24 years old.  What this means is that not a lot of people lived through the genocide, war, and chaos to reach even middle age.    

     In light of the utter near extinction of the country, the current condition of the place is amazing.  There is peace and growing (if modest) prosperity.  They are rebuilding Cambodia at what seems like a rapid rate. 
     We flew into Siem Riep, a place that has become somewhat of a touristic town because of the spectacular nearby ruins.  The capital of the country, Phnom Penh, is about a hundred miles to the south. 

     **** Interesting fact about Cambodia - they use the dollar as their currency.  Like greenbacks, Benjamin Franklin, American dollars.  It's kinda weird, but it works for them.  They don't have any coins, so everything costs a dollar.  The original dollar store, only it's a dollar country.  

Across the Rice fields on a Bike 

     I wanted to rent bikes and get out into the country in Cambodia and have a look around, but I couldn't convince Fiona to go with me.
     So I rented a bike at a nearby shop, which are all over and only cost a dollar a day, and I set out on my own.  I had a vague idea of where I wanted to go, and it was fairly early in the morning and the weather was good.  I took some pictures. 
     
     Like I said, things have gotten better in Cambodia, and I passed through some small villages like the one in the picture above.  Interesting that the cows were laying around in the yard and the road. 
     I was riding through such a village when I heard a woman calling out.  I realized she was speaking English.  In fact, as I meandered past on my bike, I realized she was calling my name!   "Hallo, Kevin!  Mister Kevin!"
     I stopped and much to my surprise, it was the wife of the guesthouse manager where we were staying.  I could only do my best with her name, which was close to Lilly in English.  
     "Oh Hi, Lilly!"  I was pretty surprised.  What are the odds that you will encounter someone you know in such a remote village?
     "It is so good to see you here, Mister Kevin!  You have come to visit my village?!"  It was a statement and a question at the same time.  "How did you find us?"  She asked.
     "Well ... I was just riding my bike and wanted to go into the country side.  Do you live here?"  I said.
     "This is my home town, and I have just come to visit my family.  I bought some property here and want to build a house here some day!  I am so delighted to see you here!"  She was very excited and did her best to communicate in broken English.
     So I talked with her for a while, and I asked her to take my picture.  




     
     I rode on, and began to get further into the countryside.  It was very peaceful and there were rice paddies, and it was very pleasant.  I rode for miles. 


   
     But it struck me as I got out of town that I was riding through the very Killing Fields that were the painful legacy of years of turmoil. 
     
     Thank God that time passes and ... pain and grief heal.  


     
     Cambodia has made great strides and progress toward a better future.  The country has been through things far worse than most of us will ever experience
     They are all so young.  Anyone with any intelligence or wisdom was cut down by the murderous Pol Pot.
     But they are at the dawn of a new day. 
     I loved it there. 
     


2 comments:

  1. I appreciated your review of history. I was fairly young and not really paying attention to events in the world being the self-centered teen that I was in northeastern Oregon. It's hard for me to comprehend such an event. The landscape is beautiful. Beth D. so enjoys working in Cambodia. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete